Interventions to Reverse Road Rage
"Road Rage" is a relatively serious act,
which jeopardizes the public safety. Hence, there seems to be a
dire need to enlist various methods that can be implemented to reverse
"Road Rage". These include:
- Education through Campaigns
Road Rage campaigns can be run locally
for public information. In this direction, a "Road Rage Prevention
Curriculum" can be designed covering aspects like driving
education, information on road rage prevention etc. Cut outs and
templates can be designed to complement the message. These can
be sponsored by merchants.
- Enforcement of Traffic Laws
Stringent Enforcement of laws can
no doubt lend a hand at a regional, state and municipal level.
Laws can be enforced using unmarked cars, plain clothed police
officers, video cameras etc. Various bodies and agencies (Road
Transport Authority, Central Police, Traffic Police, Highway Authority,
construction agencies, DDA) can join hands and pool in their resources
to combat the menace.
- Self-Help Methods/ Co-operative
These programs can help in distributing
handy resources personally to drivers to increase driver awareness,
reducing stress levels. Tapes, books, classes, surveys and self
tests can lend a helping hand in running these programs effectively.
- Penalties for Offenders/Legislations
Poor existing laws addressing the
issues combined with offenders who try to play with the ambiguous
wordings of the laws, in combination with the interpretations
by Law Enforcement Officers act as barriers in passing Aggressive
Driving Legislations. Although penalties including: higher fines,
mandatory jail time, loss of license, Warning letters have been
formulated but they are not taken seriously as a learning lessons.
Drivers pay the hefty amounts and think that they have got the
permission to continue with the wrong. They should realize their
mistake and discontinue with it.
- Call-in Cellular Systems
As in abroad, a number of hotlines
can be installed to allow citizens to report Aggressive Driving
incidents directly to local law enforcement officers. But, it
should be kept in mind that not to misuse the numbers.
- Intelligent Transportation System
Such systems can effectively deter
Road Rage with intersection cameras. The "Red Light Runners"
and "Speeders" can be captured on camera and later use
the photographs to counter the offenders. This method makes it
possible to detect the offenders without the physical presence
of the officers on the spot.
- Internet and Media
Radio and Television announcements
can help in increasing public awareness. Internet can prove to
be an effective tool with abundant resources. Sites with "Report
It" feature are increasing in numbers. These sites are loaded
with "Driver Improvement Pages" and "Self assessment Quizzes".
- Driver Education
The motorists on a whole are ill informed
about the originators of Aggressive Driving. Campaigns can be
run to teach drivers their own behaviors and how to deal with
the aggressive behavior of other drivers.
Do's and Don'ts of Road Rage
- Do make an apology if you have done a mistake.
- Do try to be seated in the car in case of a conflict.
- Do tune in to your favorite music to feel relax
- Do try to use public transports.
- Do drive within the posted limits.
- Do look for less congested routes.
- Do make an attempt to get out of the way in case
of a conflict.
- Do make it a point to report aggressive driving
to the concerned officials.
- Do put as much distance between you and others
- Do stay behind a suspected drunk driver.
- Don't allow yourself to become distracted by talking
on your cellular phone, eating, drinking or putting on makeup.
- Don't make and respond to any angry gesture or
- Don't rush if you are getting late.
- Don't use abusive language while driving.
- Don't cut in front of any vehicle.
- Don't challenge by speeding.
- Don't make an eye contact.
- Don't tailgate.
- Don't make matters worse by triggering confrontations.
- Don't try to stop the vehicle between roads.
- Don't attempt to act to the capacity of