Traffic Authorities in India
The transport Department is one of
the largest revenue earning departments. dealing with various transport
related matters like driving licenses, registration of motor vehicles,
grant and renewal of permits and other regulatory and enforcement
services. The transport department works under the provision of
the section 213 of the MV Act, 1988. The transport department is
primarily established for enforcement of the provisions of the motor
vehicle act, 1988.
Department works with two of the concerned authorities, under Section
68 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. These are discussed below:
- State Transport Authority:
The main functions of the State Transport Authority are:
- Regional Transport Authority:
The main functions of the Regional Transport Authority are:
- To exercise and discharge the powers and functions
conferred on them under the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act,
which mainly relate to control of transport by way of grant
Regional Transport Office
provides the following services:
- Related to Driving License:
- Issuing learner license.
- Renewal of learner license.
- Issuing driving license.
- Renewal of driving license (issued in same and
- Endorsement in driving license.
- Noting change of address in learner and driving
- Issuing International driving permit.
- Conductor license
And related services.
Related to Registration of Vehicles
- Temporary registration of vehicles.
- Permanent registration of vehicles.
- Transfer of ownership.
- Entry of hypothecation/ hire-purchase/ lease
- Termination of hypothecation/ hire-purchase/
- Change of address.
- Issue of no objection certificate.
- Issue of clearance certificate
And related transactions.
Collection of Tax
The services granted by these authorities
are regulated, monitored and enforced by two of the Enforcement
- Enforcement wing of the transport department.
- Traffic police.
If in any case somebody violates the
rules and regulations related to traffic laws – an offence
then they are bound to issue Challans against the offender under
some penal actions as per M.V Act, 1988.
Some Related Acts
Motor Vehicle Act, 1988
Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989
Delhi Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989
Rules of Road Regulation, 1989